Wednesday, December 9, 2009

OOTD; Work Then 'Brothers', AKA 'You Are About To Watch Two Hours Of Tobey Maguire Not Blinking'


_ Gray graphic t shirt from Primark
_ Black cardigan from Zara
_ Belt from Primark
_ Black leggings from American Apparel
_ Scarf from H&M
_ Fingerless mittens from Urban Outfitters
_ Leather jacket from New Look
_ Assorted rings from Rings Eclectic, the Richmond Night Market and my Mom's jewelery box
_ Stud earrings by Mimi And Marge (To become my new regulars)
_ Black ankle boots from Spring
_ Black men's laptop bag from H&M (not shown)
_ 'Teal The Cows Come Home' nail polish by OPI

This was on Saturday; I worked until close, then had to race to Tinseltown to go see 'Brothers' with a couple of friends, but I'll get to that in a bit.
Nails of the day!



'Teal the Cows Come Home' by OPI. This was my favourite, until it was dethroned by 'Russian Navy', then that by 'You Don't Know Jacques' (Thought I'd posted a picture of my wearing this, but I guess not). My tastes have become more muted, haven't they?
This will be the last NOTD for awhile; later that day at work, I broke my right middle finger nail in half. It's still attached, but it hurts and I am not going to be putting nail polish remover near it any time soon.
It's sad, but at least my nails grow fast.

I also have a bit of a haul for you; the scarf in the above picture, and my new earrings. I always past that scarf in H&M and loved it, so finally I went to H&M on impulse and just bought it. it offers almost no warmth, but it's pretty.
Priorities.
I also bought these Mimi And Marge silver stud earrings.


(LOL at the close up and all my skin imperfections)
I got them because I can wear them from day to day (only I would say that about studs) and I'd never seen anything else like them. Plus they're very Lady Gaga and/or Rihanna.
There were some other Mimi And Marge earrings I wanted, that I'm thinking about.
Do I really wear earrings all that often though?

On to the movie; my friend Sara (who was the friend in this post) saw the trailer to 'Brothers' twice when we saw the movies aforementioned in the link about. Basically, it's the most intense thing ever. Literally.


So obvs, we marked December fourth, the day it came out, and decided to see it as soon as possible.

This is one of the reasons I didn't love 'Brothers'; I had expectations.
I always try to never read any reviews of a movie outside The Vancouver Sun so as to taint my idea of a movie as little as possible, or I try not to get hype up a movie in my head.

'Brothers' was good, but I wouldn't see it again.
The acting was amazing, Tobey Maguire's unblinking eyes deserve an Oscar, for serious, but the story was a bit flat.
I won't spoil anything, but I'll say that the movie tried to be a look into a captured then freed Marines eyes, but it just didn't work.
Maybe if there had been more conflicts and secrets around him; I get that it was all supposed to be in Tobey Maguire's head, but the film just wasn't that deep.

I got to stare at Jake Gyllenhaal for over an hour though, so I'm not complaining.



If you need a reason to see this movie though, see it for the child actress who plays the eldest daughter. Oh my god.
She is the best child actress I have ever seen; I thought she was on par to every other actor around her.
The dinner table scene? Everyone in the theater went dead quiet after it, even those annoying faux gangsters behind us who'd brought beer.

'Brothers' was good, but it won't be winning any Oscars, at least in my book.
One last thing, how long was that winter?
Seriously, the entire movie takes place in one season and it just never stops snowing.
I get that Tobey Maguire leaves in November, and I guess he comes back in march, but still, it doesn't snow that much.
It was originally a Danish film, so maybe it snows for that long in Denmark, but not in middle America, director.


Love.

P.S. This post is brought to you by Elsie not moving out of the shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment