Tuesday, April 13, 2010

OOTD + MovieRave; 'How To Train Your Dragon'


Gray t shirt from H&M; Nude skirt from Zara;
Black tights from American Apparel; Necklace and earrings by Alexis Bittar;
Black bracelet by Humanity; Labradorite bracelet by Chan Luu;
Black flats from Aldo; 'Suzi Says Feng Shui' nail polish by OPI;


Sorry about the blah photo; I hate rushing off to work.
The outfit is a bit blah itself, but looked great when I added a light pink/nude scarf from Le Chateau, my infamous faux leather jacket, these sunglasses from Urban Outfitters, and my brown faux leather messenger bag from H&M that I’ve yet to take a picture of, but wear every day.
It was kind of ‘faux leather meets voluminous ballerina skirt’, and I was into it.

This is what I wore to work and to gallivant around Robson Street on my break.
The weather’s super weird/lovely in Vancouver now; it’s cold, like fall, but sunny enough to require sunglasses. And it’s windy. It’s like everything I love rolled into one burst of meteorology.

So I caved and bought a Chan Luu wrap bracelet.



Don’t judge, it’s a classic piece.
It’s leather with labradorite woven in between. It was a lot, but it’s one of those things I know I’m going to wear every day, and (spoiler alert) I have.

Anyways, whilst at work a friend texted me to inquire if I would like to see ‘How To Train Your Dragon’ avec herself and a friend. I have had multiple people tell me that I need to see this movie, so I agreed (even though I would have rather seen ‘Hot Tub Time Machine’).


This is my favourite movie of 2010 thus far.
You need to see it.

I think the key to this movie is that they kept it short; it’s about an hour and a half, which was perfect. Theaters are the ultimate ‘boring’ test, I think it has something to do with the fact that the chairs are uncomfortable, and it really shows which movies have competent editors and which need to rethink their career pat (I’m looking at you, ‘Alice In Wonderland’).
I was never bored for a second during ‘How To Train Your Dragon’.

Essentially the plot is the story of a young Viking (voiced by my love, Jay Baruchel) who is too small/weak/uncool to train to kill dragons, unlike the other kids in the village. He then actually meets a dragon up close, and instead of killing it discovers that dragons aren’t all that bad.


The film is really travelling along the ‘Coraline’ road of children’s movies; it’s dark.
At times it’s scary, some of the dragons (one in particular) are grotesque, and it’s not a complete happily ever after.
I don’t know if I find this movie dark because I’ve grown up and am able to recognize these elements, or if society has just added more depth to children’s movies.

Either way, ‘How To Train Your Dragon’ was adorable, scary, and visually beautiful; it’s a new kind of children’s movie, and a new type of theatre 3D experience.

QuestionOfTheDay;
What do you think of 3D movies?
Sitting in ‘How To Train Your Dragon’ really made me realise that this is the new way to watch movies. 3D is only for blockbusters and adventure movies now, but could it ever expand to dramas? In twenty years will all films be in 3D? Do you think it adds to the experience, or do you now care?



Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment